Hartford Criminal Defense Attorney Andrew J. Cates is a former United States Marine in the 5th Marine Regiment. He served as an M60 operator and also managed the regiment’s substance abuse program. Attorney Cates attended the University Of Connecticut School Of Law. He is a graduate of San Diego State University where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Latin American Studies.
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- University of Connecticut School of Law
- Nina E. Olsen and Janet Spragens LITC Award for representing low income tax payers in the Tax Clinic
- The Honorable Joseph Blumenfeld Award for outstanding service as an advocate for low income criminal defendants in the Criminal Clinic
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Fundamentals of Advocacy
- United States Marine Corps
- Letter of Commendation (2nd Award)
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Good Conduct Medal
- Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (w/1 Star)
- Brewster Academy
- Valedictorian Graduating Class of 1983
- The Grace Webster Heartz Prize for excellence in English
- The Faculty Award the student in the graduating class who has shown the greatest improvement in general record during the junior and senior years at Brewster
- The Harold Hart Memorial Award for outstanding scholarship in Social Science and exemplary conduct in community and school activities
- The Mabel Cate Tarr Award to that member of the graduating class whose record is one of outstanding contribution to scholarship and citizenship
Why did I start my practice?
I have always wanted to serve one person at a time as a lawyer. Having my own practice makes this possible.
What makes me different than other law firms in the central Connecticut region?
Advocating for people is my passion. I will focus my attention on your matter in your time of need.
What do I like most about the central Connecticut region?
Our cities and towns belong to the working men and women who wake up every day and make sure that schools, businesses, and government offices are open for the public day in and day out.